Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Lord and my God!



Reflections on the Feast of St. Thomas. Scripture readings can be found at http://usccb.org/bible/readings/070314.cfm

Thomas is the kind of guy that we today would call a "show me" type of guy. He needed to see with his own eyes that the Lord has indeed risen from the dead. He wasn't content with relying on the word of the other disciples. Then what a gift Thomas receives from our Lord. Not only does he see the Risen Lord, he gets to touch Him.

Jesus says, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” (John 20:27). What does Thomas then say? “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28). Our Lord goes on to speak about you and I. Jesus then says, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” (John 20:29) What a gift the Lord has given to us. He is calling us blessed because of our faith in Him. And we have Thomas to thank for it.

After the Ascension of Jesus into heaven, Thomas goes on to become one of the great apostolic missionaries, going to India to bring the faith of Jesus to the people there. Thomas experienced Jesus first hand and was able to bring that faith to others.

You and I experience the Risen Jesus every time we go to Mass. When the priest says the words, "This is my body" and "This is my blood" the elements of bread and wine BECOME the Body & Blood of Jesus. We then are able to TOUCH Jesus by receiving Holy Communion.

We are then to go from the church to bring the Good News that Jesus has died, risen and ascended for all people. One of the choices the priest or deacon can choose from for the dismissal at mass is "Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord." We do this by being charitable and loving towards all those we meet during the course of our day or week. We are to be "Christ" to other people! The great St. Francis once said, "Go and proclaim the Gospel. When necessary, use words."

So, go and bring the good news that Jesus is alive and part of your life to other. Go and proclaim the gospel!

1 comment:

  1. Very good blog on your patron saint! Many of us, including myself, were taught to say the words of St. Thomas when we see the Sacred Host elevated, "MY LORD AND MY GOD"!

    ReplyDelete