Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Ministry of Service

This past Saturday, June 17th, I was at St. Patrick's Cathedral for the Ordination to the Sacred Order of Deacon 12 men for the Archdiocese of New York. This brought back memories of my own ordination with 12 of my classmates on Saturday, June 19th, 2010.

At the ordination this past Saturday, one thing that Cardinal Dolan said that touched my heart was, "It's not about you becoming a Deacon but about Jesus and how you serve Him." That, coupled with the phrase that Cardinal Dolan says to each deacon as they receive the Book of the Gospels is very important, "Receive the Gospel of Christ, whose herald you now are.  Believe what you read, teach what you believe, and practice what you teach."

All of us as Christians are called to live the life of Christian service. But as deacons, we are called to a higher standard of service to Christ and His Church. We are called to minister at the altar, to conduct wake services, perform baptisms, witness weddings. All things that we are called to herald the Gospel of Christ.

Over my years as Deacon I have done numerous baptisms & wakes. Each is special in it's own way.

One recent act of service I was able to do as deacon is for a woman who had twins born prematurely at Einstein Hospital in the Bronx. Isaiah and Josiah have been suffering much since being born prematurely. I was able to arrange with the hospital chaplain to have them baptized. Further, on a few occasions,  I was able to visit them and bless them and their mother and father. This is an example of what makes my diaconate special. Serving those who need the presence of Christ in their lives as they suffer and deal with issues that are beyond their control. Christ is present to Isaiah and Josiah and their mother during their suffering.

I am grateful to God for the gift my diaconate. I pray also for those 12 men ordained this past Saturday at St. Patrick's Cathedral that they receive many blessings as they serve people in their faith community.

No comments:

Post a Comment