Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Doubting Thomas


Scripture readings for the Second Sunday of Easter can be found at http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/040818.cfm

Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” John 20:28-29

Every year the gospel assigned for the Second Sunday of Easter is the account of St. Thomas, also known as “Doubting Thomas”: not believing the other apostles when they tell him of the risen Lord. Can we really blame Thomas for not believing that Jesus rose from the dead? He knew that Jesus was nailed to the cross and died that horrible death at the hands of the Roman soldiers. He probably thought, “How can this be? No one can survive such a horrible death!” “Show me the nail marks in his hands!! Let me feel the wound in his side!” Is he any different than any of us in such a situation?

Then he has an encounter with Jesus, who lovingly says to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” (John 20:27) I can only imagine the look of amazement on Thomas’ face and the joy he felt when he said, “My Lord and my God.” (John 20:28)

Then Jesus takes it further. Jesus says, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” (John 20:29) Jesus is calling you and me blessed! We do not have the fortune of placing our hands or fingers into the Risen Lord’s hands or side. But we are blessed because we have the gift of faith that Jesus rose victoriously from the dead. Further, every time we attend mass, we are able to reach out and touch our Lord in Holy Communion. We encounter Jesus at every Holy Mass we attend. And thanks to Thomas, Jesus says we are blessed.

Happy Easter! ¡Felices Pascuas! WesoĊ‚ego Alleluja! Gezuar Pashket! Paschae felix!

No comments:

Post a Comment