Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Monday, September 16, 2019

Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you!


Scripture readings for this reflection can be found at http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091519.cfm



This week for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time we have the familiar parable of the Prodigal Son, found in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15. In this parable, I think we all can relate to the Prodigal Son. After all, who doesn’t want a forgiving father ready and willing to forgive us, even when we mess up bad. We all throughout our lives have made poor decisions or committed sins that we feel are unforgiveable. Yet, as Jesus points out, God is all forgiving and is always looking for us to turn back to Him with love and repentance. Thankfully, no matter how many times we sin, if we turn to God with true repentance in our hearts, God will forgive us in the Sacrament of Confession. We just need to be sincere in our sorrow and God will forgive us.

But what about the other son, the one who was upset at the father forgiving the Prodigal Son. I like to call him the “Judgmental Son.” He seems to be doing everything right. He’s always there to do what the father expects him to do. He’s obedient in every way and does what is expected of him by the father. Yet there is one thing that is problematic: he’s quick to judge his sinful brother and feels as if he’s being cheated by the father because the father forgave the Prodigal Son. The Judgmental Son feels the Prodigal Son doesn’t deserve to be forgiven since he wasn’t around doing what he was supposed to be doing for the father. Yet the father tells him, My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.” (Luke15:31-32) The father, lovingly and gently, points out to the “Judgmental Son” that we need to be loving and forgiving of those who are anxious to turn their lives back towards doing the right thing.

When we see other people that turn back to God, whether they are family members or acquaintances that may have led lives that are not very good, are we happy that they return to God? Or are we upset & jealous with God because they, too, are being forgiven by Him?

Let us be grateful to God for being forgiving of us and our sinfulness, and be joyful when others, too, are forgiven by God.

1 comment:

  1. I have always tended to relate more to the Elder Son because I have always tried to do the right thing & to be faithful & it seemed like the brother who went away & did all the wrong things was not only forgiven (for which I would have absolutely no objection--I WANT sinners to repent & be forgiven) but celebrated and favored. As an Elder Son type I would have wanted the father to take the Prodigal Son back, given him food, a bath & new clothes but no party & put him on between 1 to 3 months probation in the position of a hired hand under my supervision as the favored son to test his sincerity before bringing him back into full status as a son. I would want a required time of penance. I think the Elder Son was longing for his father's approval & love, not realizing that he already had it from a father who loves both his sons unconditionally. The Elder Son does not realize, with all his striving to do the right thing & earn his father's approval, that he, too, is a sinner in ways that are a lot more subtle. In applying this to our own relationship with God it is important to realize that our ability to avoid serious sin is connected to the love & grace of God operating in our lives.

    I tend to get upset if I think that heaven rejoices more over the sinner who repents after doing all the wrong things than the good people who do all the right things, until I realize that there is no human being except JESUS who was God as well as human & the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of JESUS who was conceived without original sin & remained faithfully sinless throughout her life, who has no need of penance. All of the rest if us have a sin nature & even if we have avoided sinful words & actions & done good things, we still have sinful areas that need work in our hearts, which may include tendencies toward being prideful, self-righteous, critical and/or judgmental. We may have sinful thoughts and/or attitudes like repressed resentment.

    I know I have tended to be frivolous in my use of credit cards. Right now I am struggling financially & more aware of my dependence upon God Who has been faithful in helping me in many small ways. Hopefully once Mom's house has been sold & various expenses paid I will have my inheritance. This morning I prayed that when the time comes when I receive my inheritance I will remember that I will need & be as dependent upon God as I am now & that God will guide me to use my inheritance wisely & in ways pleasing to Him.

    ReplyDelete