Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Do not let your hearts be troubled.


“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me." John 14:1

In these very troubling days of the coronavirus pandemic, it seems that we are all being very much frightened by all the news reports, press conferences from the president to the local political leaders. They're attempting to keep everyone well informed and protected against this very dangerous virus. And these precautions that are being taken seem to be reasonable in order to protect as many people as possible. Unfortunately, no matter how reassuring our leaders may be in trying to calm everyone down as we deal with this most scary situation, it's a natural response to worry and be concerned about the dangers that seem to be present.

As people of faith, we can turn to our Lord for comfort as we deal with this situation. One of my favorite and comforting scriptures is from John, chapter 14:1:  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me." God is calling us to have faith in him and not to be troubled. During this time of crises, let us take the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the virus, but also let us turn to God in prayer and put all our cares and concerns for ourselves, our families, and our country, in the hands of Almighty God.

Dear loving and protecting Father, we turn to you in our time of need. We pray that this virus will be wiped out, people cured, and our peace be restored. This can only happen through your power. Grant healing and peace to all the people of this country and around the world who are suffering from the effects of the coronavirus. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, who, with You and the Holy Spirit, live and reign, forever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely a scary time, a time unprecedented in my lifetime. I am grateful that my Mom & Dad are safe in heaven so I don't have to worry about having to separate from them for their health when they need me or whether I could pass germs to them or their worries about me. Hopefully in heaven with God they can see it from a heavenly perspective.
    This really is turning everything upside down & there is so much uncertainty about when things will be OK again & when & if we will be able to make plans. Never did I ever think we would have to be deprived of attending Mass & the Eucharist. My life has revolved around my Church ministries & activities, eating in restaurants, working with children (my doctor considers me high risk because I am in my 60s & have allergies & can sometimes be borderline asthmatic so he has advised me to stay home) & getting together with friends. I don't know when everything involved with the sale of Mom's house can be accomplished, it would be only if the LORD performs a miracle that we would be able to celebrate Holy Week services & Easter, the highlight of the Liturgical Church year. My cousin's daughter is scheduled to be married in May &, after being unable to do so since 2015 there is hope of my going on retreat in June. So much uncertainty & life is up in the air & upside down. If anything this experience really reveals how vulnerable we are & how we really are not as in control of our lives as we think. It makes me realize how blessed I usually am & how much I take to granted & how much I presume that life we go on according to my plans. I am reminded of the joke: "Do you want to make God laugh: tell Him your plans!"
    I don't think God is laughing at us, though. I would like to think He is sharing in our tears. The only comfort is that even when life feels so completely out of control, God is still here & He is still in control. Why He allowed this crisis I don't know. But God is still God & He has His plans & purposes. I am grateful that at least we have phones & texts & e-mails & social media & blogs so we can still communicate with one another when we cannot get together in person. And when we cannot touch each other's hands as we walk through this area of darkness God still reaches out His hand for us to hold without risk of receiving or transmitting germs.

    ReplyDelete