Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.

 

Scripture readings for today's reflection can be found at Tuesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time | USCCB

In our gospel for today we hear of the conflict between Martha and Mary. Martha, always worried about making sure things are ready for the Lord, and Mary wanting to be at the feet of Jesus hearing his wisdom and teachings. Martha complains to the Lord in order to get Mary to help her in the preparation of the food in the kitchen.  But Mary knows that it's important to make time to be with the Lord. And the Lord responds, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious about many things!" (Luke 10:41) Who do you relate to: Martha or Mary?

Being active in order to serve the Lord in the different ministries at Church, as Martha wanted to do that day the Lord visited her, is important. But what if being busy prevents you from hearing the wisdom and teachings of Jesus? If it's causing us to be "anxious", like Martha, it's time to step back and be open to what the Lord is trying to teach us. You'll notice that Jesus is not discounting the "busyness" of Martha. But the Lord says, "There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." (Luke 10:42) It's all about balance.

Like Mary, I would encourage everyone to take time to hear the wisdom of the Lord by frequent reading of scripture and making time hear what the Lord is saying to us, whether it's through the readings from Mass, or just by reading, chapter by chapter, the New Testament. Just being open to the Lord's presence in our lives and in scripture will bring us that can come only by sitting at His feat, learning from Him what He wants us to learn in our lives.



1 comment:

  1. From Arlene B. Muller

    I am NOT a DOMESTIC "MARTHA" by any means: I avoid housework "like the plague" & I am the "QUEEN OF CLUTTER". My exercise of hospitality is treating people to a meal or coffee/tea & dessert in the diner.
    But I AM a "SPIRITUAL MARTHA". My Church ministries (lector, EM, choir, Secular Franciscans) & driving a friend when she needs a ride are my chief joys in life to which I love to devote my time.
    But every morning I read & reflect on the SAINT OF THE DAY (from you), MINUTE MEDITATIONS, PAUSE & PRAY, and FRANCISCAN SPIRIT from FRANCISCAN MEDIA, the Scripture readings of the day on the USCCB website, & Bishop Barron's reflection on the GOSPEL of the day. Sometimes I even type comments. I also listen to Christian radio: WMCA in the morning ar home & contemporary Christian music on K-LOVE in my car.The advantage of being single & living alone is that I can think & reflect even when I am going about my routine before going out & spending the day with people until I come home at night & watch reruns of THE WALTONS.

    ReplyDelete