Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Friday, November 10, 2023

Thus, I aspire to proclaim the Gospel of Christ

 




Scripture readings for today's reflection can be found at Memorial of Saint Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church | USCCB

In our first reading for today’s mass, we return to the Letter of Paul to the Romans. In today’s reading Paul mentions about being a minster of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. There were those in the time of Paul who thought the Messiah, Jesus Christ, was meant to be the savior only for the Jewish people. But, as Paul discovered as he grew in his ministry and relationship with God, is that the message of Christ’s Salvation is open to all people. Not only to the Jewish people, but to all people.

We, too, like Paul, are called to bring the love of Christ to all people. Christ came into the world to bring the love and salvation of God not only for a select few, but for all people. He came into this world to bring all people into relationship with God and that salvation which is the forgiveness of our sins. Christ is calling ALL people, Jews & Gentiles alike, into that relationship with God that allows us to not only show love towards God but also to our neighbor.

Earlier in St. Paul’s letter to the Romans, in chapter 13, we hear Paul remind us of that great commandment of God: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Paul says, “Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law.” (Romans 13:10)

During the next few weeks, we will start preparing for family get-togethers at Thanksgiving and for Christmas. These can be challenging times that will bring people together that we may not really get along with, whether they be family or friends. But as Paul reminds us of the teaching of Christ, we are to love one another and we are to do no evil towards those that may be difficult to get along with. “Love is the fulfillment of the law.”

Further, during this holiday season, let us remember those who may not be as fortunate as we are. There will be those who will not have family or friends during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Let’s reach out to those who may be alone this season and bring the love and joy of this season. It’ll allow them to feel the love and joy of Christ that Paul is teaching us. We can do this by donating food to places that will serve those in need, or by donating money to those charities that serve the poor and hungry. By doing so, we are bringing Christ’s love into a world that needs to know of His peace and love.

1 comment:

  1. From Arlene B. Muller

    On several occasions my parents would invite one or more family friends who might otherwise be alone to dinner for holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter.
    I was blessed that my Dad lived until he was 91 years old & I was almost 61 years old & my Mom lived until she was almost 90 & I was almost 66 years old.
    I have no siblings, I never married & never had children, my aunts & uncles have died, and although I have a good relationship with my cousins, some are separated geographically from me & others have health issues, so we rarely see each other. We mostly communicate by text message & FACEBOOK.
    So I am very grateful that GOD has provided me with friends & my friend Lisa & her siblings & I have mutually adopted each other. So I am invited to dinner at Lisa's apartment & I bring dessert---usually pies for Thanksgiving & a Yule Log for Christmas from the bakery & I try to help out as best I can.
    GOD has answered my prayer that after years my family & I invited those who would otherwise be alone I am reaping the blessings l

    ReplyDelete