Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Monday, August 24, 2020

You shall love the Lord your God and you shall love your neighbor as yourself




The scripture readings for the following reflection can be found at https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/082120.cfm

This response of Jesus towards the Pharisees seems simple enough to follow. But when you look at it more closely, it can be a bit complicated. Loving God is the center of who we should be as followers of Jesus Christ. But our Lord is pointing out something even deeper: if you claim to love God, you must also love your neighbor.
In another part of scripture, from the first letter of John, chapter 4, verse 20, we read, “Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.”

That’s where things get complicated. With daily interactions with family, friends, and co-workers, we can really get on each other’s nerves. I know from my own experience with my family, there are times when I don’t even like them, no less love them. But our Lord is still expecting us to love them. He is not asking us to like them, but to love them. There is a difference.

Our Lord not only expects us to love everyone, including those we do not like, but he also doesn’t expect us to be in a situation that can affect us emotionally or spiritually. If there’s someone in your family or among your friends that pushes your buttons and upset you, it is okay to keep your distance from them, rather than to upset yourself and possibly start “hating” that person because of your relationship with them. You can love them and pray for them, but you don’t have to be in a situation that causes you to sin. It’s a good way to avoid that near occasion of sin: rather than get upset or angry at someone that pushes your buttons, it’s best to remain at a distance and pray for their intentions.

Further, if we do find ourselves in a situation with someone that we don’t like, as hard as it may be, we need to show them love and respect, no matter how difficult it is. That person you’re encountering may be going through a personnel problem that he or she are unable   to share. Our show of the love of God can bring them the comfort they need to get over whatever problem they are facing. Mother Teresa of Calcutta once said, “Love cannot remain by itself – it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service.” That service can either be that of a listening ear, or that of prayer for that person that you’re concerned with, whether family or friend.
                                                                                                                                         Lord Jesus, help us to love those in our lives with the same love you have for us. Amen.                                      

1 comment:

  1. Very good. We all love God but it is a challenge to keep Him first & love Him with our whole heart, soul, mind & strength.

    Sometimes when we are called to love sacrificially in a way that goes beyond our comfort zone, such as in a caregiving role, we can ask God to use us as His instrument of love to the other person. Our human love, even for the people we love most deeply, is limited, but God's love for us & for the person we are called to serve is unlimited. Being a caregiver was not my particular gift, but I learned from Mom's aides what to do for Mom when it was my turn to take care of her & I felt a love & tenderness emmanating from me that was greater than my own. It was not just me loving Mom but God loving Mom through me. Mom was easy to love but I never chose to marry and/or have children so I never saw myself as someone who would choose to be a caregiver. But the combination of my own human love for Mom, the example of her two personal aides who showed me what to do, and the unlimited love of God coming through me to Mom is what made it possible & even sometimes made caregiving a joy. I still would not necessarily see myself as choosing to be a caregiver to anyone else, but this was God's will for me for 3 years & God's love was there to help me.

    ReplyDelete