Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Friday, June 18, 2021

For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be

 


The scripture readings for today's reflection can be found at Friday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time | USCCB

What do we treasure most in our lives? What are the things that are most important to us? Our families? Our belongings? Our homes? What are the things we treasure most that we think we can’t really live without? Are these the things we consider more important to us than God? Are our family and possessions more important to us than God?

For myself, I have a large collection of books at home, both religious and secular. Books that I love very much. I even own several copies of the bible. I have asked myself, “Do I really need all these books?” Do I really need more than one copy of the bible? Or should I just have one copy of the bible to use for meditation on the mysteries of God?

My bibles and books are important to me, but they are only tools that I need to develop that closer relationship with God. They are the tools I should use to bring me to realize that God is the “treasure” of my life.  It is when they become a distraction from my relationship with God that I have to refocus my attention and focus on making God the center of who I am.

To overcome these distractions, I turn to the bible and make some quiet time to meditate on where I am in my relationship with God. I would choose the scripture readings for Mass that day and sit down and meditate on what God is trying to teach me at that moment. I make God the treasure that I seek. God is that treasure in heaven that we are all called to seek out. Sometimes I may not get a clear message of what God is trying to tell me, but then I receive the peace and comfort that can only come from spending time with Him in prayer. Time alone with God is the most important treasure that we can seek out.

Our Lord goes on to point out in today’s gospel, “If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light…” God is the one that will supply the light to our eyes in order to bring us closer to Him and to develop that healthy relationship that will give us true peace.

Let us take time each day to be alone with God. Make time to pray, meditate and let God know that He is the most important treasure in our lives. Nothing is more important than having that loving relationship with God, our true treasure in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Very good perspective. Our TRUE TREASURE is the LORD. Next is people. Everything else we have & do is valuable to the extent that they are tools that help us to know, love & serve God better & to know, love as serve others better out of our love for God & His love for & in us.

    ReplyDelete