Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Ordination at St. Patrick's Cathedral
June 19, 2010

Friday, June 25, 2021

Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean

 


Scripture readings for today's reflection can be found at Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time | USCCB

In our gospel for today we hear of a healing of a leper who was humble and courageous enough to turn to Jesus to seek healing. Lepers during the time our Lord walked the earth were people that were segregated from the rest of society due to their illness. Leprosy is a very contagious disease that ate away at your body. As a result, for the health and safety of society, lepers were segregated to their own communities just so the disease would not spread. It became a very lonely painful life for those who had this terrible disease.

If they went beyond their community, they had a bell they had to ring and, as they rang the bell, they would cry out, “Unclean” as a warning to those who may come across their path. Understandably people were afraid of contracting this disease. But unfortunately, it meant for a lonely and terrible life for those who did have this affliction.

This leper heard of the healing power of Jesus, and taking a chance, approached our Lord and asked for healing, “Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.” He wasn’t demanding to be healed. Rather, he recognized the possibility that our Lord may say no. But he approached the Lord with faith and received the healing he was hoping for.

We all have our own cares and concerns that we carry with us. Different illnesses or family concerns that cause us worry and pain. Like this leper in the gospel for today, we are encouraged to go to Jesus with our cares and concerns, and pray, “Lord Jesus, if you wish, please help me with this care or problem.” Our Lord will be there to respond to you in a way that is best for you. He may not respond in as a dramatic way as he did with the leper in today’s gospel, but our Lord Jesus Christ will respond to you in a way that is best for you in whatever problem or illness you are facing. Just ask the Lord to be with you and comfort you in all your cares and concerns, and the Lord will be there to give you his peace and healing. If the problem continues, just ask the Lord to walk with you as you face your pain.

I am reminded of an old hymn that we can all pray when we’re facing these problems or illness. It’s called “Precious Lord, take my hand”: it goes like this: 

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I'm tired, I’m weak, I’m lone
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Very good. I agree with the approach of the man with leprosy that expresses faith in Our LORD's ability to heal while acknowledging the LORD'S right to choose otherwise. God is sovereign & although we know He is kind & merciful, we also must acknowledge His sovereignty & we cannot presume to know the mind of GOD unless He chooses to reveal it to us by His Holy Spirit. You may recall I contributed a blog post on this theme almost 2 years ago.

    I love the hymn, PRECIOUS LORD, TAKE MY HAND, which was written by a minister & composer who had recently experienced the death of his wife in childbirth & had thought he would never write a Gospel hymn again but was inspired by the Holy Spirit as he sat at his piano. This hymn, & the story of this hymn shared by Father Cedric Pisegna on his program LIVE WITH PASSION, has been a source of encouragement & consolation to me, especially when my Mom was coming home from hospital & rehab & I was responsible for her care.

    ReplyDelete